We remain open to provide care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
At Oakbank Animal Hospital, we offer the most current advice on preventative health care, including the right vaccinations for your cat. Our veterinarians will work with you to put together the right vaccine program that is not only essential for your cat’s overall health but also appropriate for your cat’s age, lifestyle and travel needs.
Indoor cats may not require the same vaccines as outdoor cats, but it is still important that they get the best possible chance at building a strong immune system. Although they are not being exposed to viruses outside, indoor cats can still be vulnerable to viruses entering your home. It can also be hard to predict if your cat will stay an indoor cat in the future or if you will be adding more cats to your home in the future which can pose a threat. Vaccine protocols can be modified as their lifestyle changes.
What are FVRCP and core vaccines for cats?
The FVRCP vaccine or “core” vaccine for cats consists of Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Panleukopenia and Calicivirus for indoor cats and Feline Leukemia Virus vaccine is added for outdoor cats. These core vaccines are boostered annually. The Rabies vaccine requires administration every 3 years once your cat has received two Rabies vaccines consecutively.
Are there risks associated with cat vaccines?
There are always risks with any vaccine. However, the benefits to vaccinating your kitten/cats far outweigh the risks. Some of these risks can include minor adverse effects such as a swelling at the injection site, vomiting, fever and/or diarrhea. More severe reactions, although rare, can include anaphylaxis. If you think your cat has developed a vaccine associate reaction, please let your veterinarian know.
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
The following changes are effective as of Monday, March 23, 2020:
1. We are currently operating a “closed waiting room” policy to protect our clients and staff. When you arrive, please remain in your vehicle and use your cell phone to call us at 204-444-3615. We will take a history from outside of your vehicle, and bring your pet into the clinic for an examination with the veterinarian. We will then return to your vehicle with your pet to discuss our recommended treatment plan. If you do not have a cell phone please knock our door to let us know you have arrived and then return to your vehicle.
2. We are continuing to accept appointments for urgent or sick pets. All other services will be scheduled for a later time.
3. We are still OPEN with the following hours: Monday to Friday: 7:30 am - 6:00 pm. Saturday: 8:00 am - 2:00 pm.
4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 3-5 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the hospital. Our staff will bring your order to your car and take payment over the phone. You can also use our online store and have your food delivered directly to your home. To sign up for the online store, visit our website.
5. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our roles. As such, we have taken measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this virus.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid and any updates will be provided as changes occur.