Whether you have a parrot, lovebird, cockatoo or cockatiel our hospital is the perfect place to ensure their health is in top shape. To schedule a veterinary exam for your pet bird, please call us at 205-444-3615.
Why does my bird need an annual visit?
By nature, birds hide any signs of illness as it would make them a target in the wild. Avian veterinarians are trained to detect the subtle signs of a problem in your pet. An annual wellness exam allows us to perform a physical exam and get important information about your pet’s daily routines. During their visit, you can expect:
- Weight management support
- Nail trimming
- Wing clipping
- Beak clipping
- Other care needs specific to their species
What are the dos and don’ts of caring for my pet bird?
With the right care, your pet can live a long and happy life. Here are some ways to ensure your pet bird has a good quality of life:
- Don’t allow your pet to eat plants like lilies, mistletoe, morning glory etc. that can be toxic to their health. By ingesting certain plants your pet can have gastrointestinal problems, some of which can be fatal.
- Do a daily check of their droppings to make sure it’s normal. Changes in their droppings could mean they have an undiagnosed medical condition.
- Do clean their cage regularly.
- Don’t keep your bird in cages too small for them.
- Do activities with your pet and provide toys that stimulate their minds.
- Don’t feed your pet bird avocados. The fruit contains persin which can cause heart failure and death.